When I was a child, I used to look to people in their
twenties and see them as so old, so beautiful, and so mature. As I hit another
mile marker in those twenties, I realize that while some of my schemas from
childhood are accurate, very few of them are. Everything changes when you get
older and the battle of holding onto your childhood ambitions and changing into
the person you should and would like to become sometimes becomes extremely
overwhelming.
I believed that once I overcame my Freshman year of college,
I would be a responsible adult and I would have my life put together. In many
cases, this is correct, but in most cases- especially emotionally- this is not
anywhere near accurate. The thing I have learned in life is that the challenges
you struggle with when you were a child do not dissipate when you move
somewhere else and become surrounded by people who love you for who you are.
You find a way of dealing with those challenges a level at a time for the rest
of your life. At every phase of your life, you see struggles and frustrations
with who you are and just wish you could be a better person.
As a child, I used to look to people who did not get excited
about their birthdays and think they were fuddy duddies. In many instances,
they can be, but seeing as I wasn’t as excited about my birthday this year, I
began to contemplate why this was the case.
When you are a child, you are able to see the beauty in the
world. An airplane that jets across the sky is one of the most exhilarating
experiences because you have not yet learned to focus on the more important
noises. As a child, when you hear your family eating downstairs and laughing
together, you want to JUMP out of bed and spend times with them. As a child,
you are not worried about how much people care about you are how well people
treat you: you just know what you want and you are able to, at least some
point, forgive people because you can’t really see all of the bad in them.
As we gain more experience, understand evil a little bit
more, and develop knowledge, many of these child-like attributes become lost
and are replaced with self-criticizing and self-destructive thoughts and acts.
Maturing and becoming the responsible adult I should become
is a struggle because maintaining these attributes are very difficult-
especially when it seems as though there are so many expectations of what a
successful and responsible adult should be like.
However, the one thing I have learned that I didn’t know as
a child, came to my understanding this morning. I realized that as we become
older, we focus more on ourselves. A lot of our happiness and joy leaves. We
get burned out at work, we enter into depression, we put the blame on everyone
else, and we feel so lonely. It is a vicious cycle. We no longer have the urges
to jump out of bed and to see the things around us.
“What can I do to have this back again?“ I pleaded with
myself. I recognized that what we can do is wake up each morning for someone
else. There is no need to worry about how well we accomplish something. There
is no need to fear how what we say affects someone else. When we wake up
thinking of how we can touch another individual, when we think about how what
we do can improve the quality of someone else’s life, we have a greater desire
to jump out of bed- not for ourselves, but for someone else.
I recognize that as a child, I didn’t understand that many
of those people who were older than me who didn’t get excited for their
birthday were oftentimes humble, beautiful people who truly understood that joy
does not come from focusing on themselves. The greatest happiness comes from
getting to know other people and genuinely love and serve them.
So today as the first day of a new year of my life, I would
like to celebrate this change and development in my life. A shift of focus from
myself to you. A change from self-consciousness to a you-consiousness. I would
love to develop a greater since of confidence, enthusiasm, and hope. I would
like to abandon all of my fears and open up to people so I can grow closer to
them.
J
Life is so wonderful. I am so grateful for another day and another year to
live.
Brianne, I love how unlike most blogs, you contemplate about the meaning of life instead of focusing on events. It's good to keep up with you in this way. I turned 23 this last April, and I know how you feel about fulfillment. I have a degree, I'm married to a wonderful husband, and I have a baby on the way. Shouldn't I feel happier with myself? It seems that this is the constant struggle. 2012 has brought a new chapter of my life between being done with school, struggling with Scott's vocational pursuits, having a miscarriage and getting pregnant again. It's all been an adjustment trying to find my new role in life from academic pursuits to soon-to-be motherhood. But as you say, it's all about getting up for another person and learning to be selfless. With all the changes to my body being pregnant, I've learned to not care as much about weight gain/vanity zits and more about that beautiful child growing inside of me. The physical sacrifice brings spiritual growth. Anyway, we should talk sometime. I love how you talked about going from a child's schemas to an adult's ideologies. Totally educational lingo! I can't wait to utilize that knowledge for my own child and possibly other children through tutoring. Wow, this is like a post in and of itself, lol.
ReplyDeleteClarissa!!
ReplyDeleteIt is so wonderful to hear from you! It is also very refreshing to hear your input on my thoughts as well- it means a lot to me that you would take the time to highlight the important parts of your life and share them with me so I may rejoice and experience them with you. I really loved how you said: "physical sacrifice brings spiritual growth." I believe that not only allows us to understand and appreciate the atonement, but the level of sacrifice indicates the amount of love we have.
I love hearing how despite how difficult circumstances have been, you are still capable of focusing on the big picture and looking around you. I really miss talking to you and would love catching up again soon. Do you still have the same number since the last time we talked... like a year or two ago?