Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Beginnings

I personally am excited that everyone believes this could be the last year that we are living because it gives us the opportunity to think: If this really is my last year of living, how would I like to live it?

We have commenced a new year thus we are filled with anticipation and excitement to start over again, to look at what we have done wrong and to try and start anew. It brings me so much enthusiasm and excitement as I look around and see so many people who are truly excited and motivated. However, it saddens me when the enthusiasm dies out.

As I have been thinking about this concept of new beginnings, I began to have a small epiphany. It began with the thought of: What if we could have this motivation to change every day so that we do not give up in the middle of the year. I then recognized: I bet more people are contemplating what is most important to them this year because this has been the long and anticipated 2012! Really though, we have no idea when our last breath will be. We have no idea who the last person we talk to will be. We have no idea what will be the last words out of our mouth or the last thought we will think. We will have no idea if we will leave a legacy and touch other people after our death.

What if we were to wake up every day and set a goal just for that day as though it was the first day of the new year: setting goals for what we would accomplish THAT day. What if we were to sit and think about the legacy we would like to leave behind and what value we have with our name. I don't think we completely recognize the significance of how important it is that we have one more breath and one more day to live.

We have heard the song and the concept to live like you were dying, but instead I challenge you to consider to see each day as new years: to look at the past and appreciate it, but to make goals and work to become who you want to become. To live each day finding the joy and beauty because you are you.

1 comment:

  1. I think we all have different metaphorical "new years" or new days. People change unexpectedly or overtime by something that finally instigates them to move forward, but it's rarely on that day that they are supposed to do so.

    ReplyDelete