Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Bearded Lady

Often, I catch myself comparing what I do to how well other people do the same thing. It is difficult for me to keep up with my blog because I think so hard about how what I am saying is coming out. I get frustrated at the things I love most because I have this sense of wanting to become so much better than I am.

When I was in Nashville, my friend Nicole took me out to the Bluebird Cafe to celebrate my graduation and to watch her friend Stephanie Mabey perform there. While I was in awe at her talent, she sang a song about the Bearded Lady falling in love. The song talked about how usually she is a side act, but for the first time, she feels like the main attraction. It hit me at that moment that no matter how different or how ugly or how untalented we think we are, we are still worth something and we have a talent.

Other people when they look at us and see us, they don't understand why we can be happy over such small and simple things- they can never know the areas within us that make us so special and unique. But because they do not see it does not mean that this is not true. If we can overlook the beauty in the bearded lady, then imagine the beauty we overlook in ourselves and other people.


http://youtu.be/b6gAw_e0oE4

No comments:

Post a Comment